St Albans Symphony Orchestra (SASO) is seeking a replacement for its highly respected Leader, Jenny Wigram, who will be retiring from the post at the end of this season after a remarkable 38 years.
The orchestra, which brings together amateur and professionally-trained players wishes to hear from suitably experienced, professional violinists who will help the orchestra to maintain and exceed its current, high performing standards.
Repertoire for recent, critically-acclaimed concerts has included major works by Brahms, Elgar, Nielsen, Schubert, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Stravinsky and Vaughan Williams. Our soloists have included Pip Eastop, Alissa Firsova, Clare Howick, Emma Johnson, Guy Johnston, David le Page and Matthew Sharp. Each season includes an annual New Year’s Day concert played to a capacity audience in St Albans Cathedral.
Players may, as part of the shortlisting process, be asked to attend an audition. Two candidates will be invited to guest lead the orchestra for one of two public concerts: either on Saturday 7 March 2020 (with rehearsals starting on 9 January) or on Saturday 9 May 2020 (with rehearsals starting on 11 March). They will work with the orchestra and its Principal Conductor, Tom Hammond, at weekly evening rehearsals on Wednesdays. Guest Leaders – and the Leader, on appointment – will be engaged on a self-employed basis and paid at our agreed, competitive rate for the 2019 – 2020 season.
The successful candidate will be notified as soon as possible after May 10 2020, with a view to their leading SASO for its final concert of the season on July 4 2020.
The main duties of the Leader will be to:
- Seek to maintain and develop the musical standards of individual players and the orchestra as a whole.
- Lead the orchestra at rehearsals and in performances during a season of up to five concerts a year, including the New Year concert (January 1st or 2nd).
- Lead the orchestra for its two children’s concerts (currently held on a Sunday in autumn), annual or biennial orchestral workshops (Friday evening / Saturday) and an informal, end of season, ‘Concerto Evening’.
- Rehearse with the orchestra weekly on a Wednesday evening (7.30pm to 10pm) in St Albans.
- Take lead responsibility for agreeing with other string section principals the most appropriate bowing arrangements in advance of each rehearsal cycle.
- Tutor the first violins (and occasionally other string sections) at sectional rehearsals
Read the full job description:
- Leader - Job Description (124.36KB)
Applications are now closed
Please address any enquiries to Hon. Secretary, Jenny Lines: email@example.com